Training Plan - Week 1
This training plan was created by an NCAA certified strength and conditioning coach.
- Overhead Squats2 sets x 10 reps
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press3 sets x 10, 8, 6 reps
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press3 sets x 12 reps
- Lateral Raises2 sets x 10 reps
- Front Dumbbell Raises2 sets x 10 reps
- Weighted Dips3 sets x 10 reps
- Skull Crushers2 sets x 10 reps
- Dumbbell Wrist Curls3 sets x 20 reps
- Ab Rollers2 sets x 10 reps
- Hang High Pulls2 sets x 10 reps
- Barbell Deadlifts3 sets x 8, 6, 4 reps
- Physioball Back Extensions 3 sets x 15 reps
- Weighted Pull-Ups3 sets x 10 reps
- Bent Over Barbell Rows2 sets x 15 reps
- Barbell Bicep Curls3 sets x 12 reps
- Hanging Leg Raises3 sets x 10 reps
- Hammer Curls2 sets x 15 reps
- Straight Leg Obliques3 sets x 20 reps
Barbell Hang Cleans
What You'll Need
So you'll most definitely need a barbell and some plates… bumper (you know, the ones that bounce when dropped) vs. regular is up to you.
Why You Should Be Doing This Exercise
Run faster, be quicker, jump higher. Get it now? What else could you want out of this? It's in the exercise hall of fame because it's led to multiple championship trophies, and plenty of personal milestones... And, as Bonesaw's kids at Innercity Lifting prove, anyone can do them, and do them well.
The barbell's being held with an overhand grip (palms facing the floor) and just under your knees. Your back is the flattest flat back (think 45 degree angle with your legs), and your butt is out. Got it? Cool. Instant karma's gonna get you.
By using your hips for momentum, simultaneously thrust your hips forward, shrug your shoulders, and extend your legs (to the point where you're on your tip toes) as if you are jumping with the weight. The goal is to fire the barbell towards the ceiling.
1. Once the barbell has reached its highest point drop underneath it, catch it in a squatting position, and stand up as if you're doing a front squat.
2. Return the bar back to knee height and do it again, or feel free to pack it in, return the weigh to the floor, and go tell your friends about all of the fun you just had.
Hip explosion matters much more as an athlete than developing Hulk Hogan python arms. Knowing that, make sure your arms are straight and use the shrug to power the weight upward, not the ammo loaded guns.